Moving house is a huge and daunting task. We have compiled a list to make it easier for you, so you’re not overwhelmed come moving day.
- Start going through your belongings at least six weeks prior to your move date. Things you don’t use often, like seasonal decorations and out of season clothing, can be packed first.
- Schedule pickups or drop-offs to local charities, or post items that you don’t want on eBay, Gumtree or with enough time that you’re not scrambling.
- Leave everyday items until right before you move, and pack things you will need right away in an easy to access clear container.
- Don’t forget to change your address at least one week prior to moving. You can redirect your mail through contacting Australia Post online or in store.
- As you’re packing, label boxes with your name, the room it belongs in, and what’s inside. Each box can be moved to the room it belongs in at the new home, which will make the unpacking process easier.
- Keep track of all of your belongings by numbering the boxes. If, when you get to your new home, you are missing a number, you’ll know that it was lost in the move and you will be able to find it quickly.
- Keep track of what you need during the move with an overnight bag that stays with you.
Use what you have
- Before purchasing boxes, look for any suitcases, duffel bags, or large containers, like laundry baskets, you may have in your home. You’ll minimise the trash, and the cost, of your move.
- Clothing can be moved in the dresser drawers. Keep clothing in place with Press’n Seal or plastic wrap.
- Heavy duty trash bags can be used to pack hanging clothes, they’re hanging. Tie the hangers together with a string and stuff the clothes in the bag.
DIY tips for a safe move
- Remove the lids of gels and liquids in your kitchen, bedroom or bathroom, and cover the openings with plastic wrap before replacing the lids. This will keep them from spilling or leaking out during the move, even if the lids come loose.
- Pack heavy items on the bottom and lighter items on top.
- Put heavy items, like books, in smaller boxes to keep the box light. Put lighter items, like pillows, in larger bags or boxes for quick moving.
- Take photos of the way electronics are plugged in before you take them apart. It’s easier to put back together with a photo to work from.
Prepare your new home
- If you are renting your new home considering a Professional Cleaner to attend will set a very high standard for your new tenants. The agency will then be able to photograph the condition report photos and note professional clean has been carried out.
- If you’re planning to install shelving or paint, do so prior to moving your belongings into your new home.
- Pack linen within its own pillow case. Just like socks, pillows and sheets of a set easily go missing. To avoid this and to keep linen tidy, fold everything and place inside one of its own pillow cases.
Questions to ask your removals
Are you insured?
Verify the company’s license number and insurance, and do not use an uninsured company. A company who is serious about what they do will take the appropriate precautions, and that means having quality insurance. Ask if your personal belongings are covered by the insurance policy, or if you need to get your own insurance for your property while it is in transit.
What is included when I hire this moving company?
- Does the moving company pack your belongings, or do you need to do that beforehand?
- Do they provide packing materials?
- Do they help you unpack at your new home?
- Will your property be labelled and placed in specific rooms in your new home?
- Knowing what you are paying for can help you find the best deal, and help you understand how to prepare for moving day.